Define Your Space
Decide how you will use your space and how much of the area will be used for your container garden. Consider furniture and ornamental items you may have to incorporate into the space. Define the purpose of the space and it will drive design and plant choices:
- Will you be entertaining friends or is this your personal oasis?
- Would you like to plant herbs to create an edible garden?
- Are you blocking out neighbors to create more privacy?
- Are there any obstructions, like air conditioners or gutters that cannot be blocked?
- Is there a size limitation to the area?
Once you have defined the purpose of the space, you need to figure out the logistics. Determine how many containers, plants, furniture, and other ornaments you need and how to get them into your space. Think about the weight of the potted plants and flowers, the weather, and the climate in the space. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do you need permission from your Condo Owner's Association?
- Do you need a structural engineer to ensure the area can handle the weight of plants, containers, and furniture?
- Is the area windy?
- Are there areas in complete sunlight or in complete shade?
- How will heavy rain or wind impact the items in the space?
Choosing Your Containers
Unlike gardening in soil, where weight and watering restrictions do not apply, weight is the biggest consideration, when planting in containers on a deck or balcony. Consider these options:
- Choose lighter containers such as fiberglass or plastic.
- Limit the number of containers you use.
- Consider how long it will take for soil to dry out using certain containers.
- Make sure there is a way for the water to drain out.
- Ensure the water will not drip on a neighbor's deck or balcony.
- Find a nearby water source or determine if you will be carrying water to the plants.
Choosing Your Plants
Planting flowers and plants in containers can create the same feeling as an in-ground garden, it just requires some planning. Large tropical plants can provide shade and privacy, while herbs, and fruit and vegetable bearing plants most certainly have a different purpose. Colorful flowers will brighten up your space and be a great compliment to any deck or balcony. Make sure to take into consideration expected growth, type of soil, water and sunlight requirements. With a little foresight, creating your own container garden can open up many possibilities.
Plant Your Container Garden at Isla Del Sol Condominiums
Isla Del Sol Condominiums is known as a private island paradise at the Lake. Exquisite amenities, such as a resort-style pool with splash fountains, boat and PWC slips, and a dog walking area, make this complex top notch. With a few simple steps, you can even bring the beauty of an in-ground garden to your balcony with little maintenance. For more information on what these luxury condos at Lake of the Ozarks have to offer, contact (573) 552-8418.
Come back often to see all of the exciting things happening at Isla Del Sol.
Visit our website
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on LinkedIn
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel
Follow Us on Google+